Our Yarn Bombing Project 2021
The Yarn Bombing Projekt
The Deutsches Taubblindenwerk supports DBI's Yarn Bombing initiative to raise awareness about deafblindness. People with dual sensory disabilities, their families and their advocates knit, crochet and weave to decorate one or more objects in public space. Yarn Bombing is a form of street art that originated probably in Texas, USA.
DBI's global Yarn Bombing Campaign 2021 is a special initiative to engage members of the deafblind community in a large-scale tactile art project. We are putting the skills, creativity, participation and involvement of deafblind people in the spotlight.
With this initiative we would like to:
- use tactile art as a common language to bridge isolation and start an open dialogue.
- bring the world to people, make it approachable, open possibilities, reveal unfamiliar paths. and thus make it known to deafblind people.
- make the world tangible; big or small, firm or soft, rough or smooth... or anything in between.
- make the world visible; blurry or clear, whole or partially, grey or colourful, flashy or plain, light or dark... or anything in between.
- make the world audible; loud or soft, distorted or clear, muffled or roaring... or anything in between.
- increase awareness and knowledge of deafblindness as a unique disability of its own kind, both unique and diverse.
- expand the understanding of the needs of deafblind people and enable their participation in society through support services and systems.
What can you do to help?
We look forward to many followers, supporters and twitterers!